Friday, June 28, 2013

THREE

It's hard to believe that, exactly three months from now, The Fiance' and I will be GETTING MARRIED.

That's right --- THREE MONTHS.

If we don't surprise everyone and elope first, hahaha.

Just kidding on that last part.

Maybe.

;)

Regardless, I have a strong feeling I'll wake up that morning and do something like this...




Lord help us all until that day...and even more so the day of! HA


Moving on!

Sometimes I like to consider Sundays to be splurge days. Days where I tend to make delicious comfort food that, while it may not be great for your waistline, is wonderful for your soul, mind, and emotions :)

Sometimes I get a little homesick on Sundays, too - so cooking one of my mom's dishes is very...soothing.

This past Sunday I made my mom's Chicken Casserole. It's so simple - only five ingredients. And like most other casseroles, you basically throw everything into a dish at once and it's ready to bake.

The star of this show?



Boom.

Nothing fancy here. Good ol off-brand cream o' mushroom soup!

Can I be honest? The sight of this stuff makes me feel a little sick. But the taste...oh my. Mixed with the right stuff, it's brilliant.

This is one of my favorite dishes ever. Guaranteed to make you feel closer home, wherever you may be.



Wimpy picture, yes. This is a dish you forget to photograph because you're ready to dive into it as soon as it comes out of the oven. Not that that happened to me, of course ;)

Side note: This recipe calls for a full sleeve of crackers. I used whole wheat Ritz, so in my mind I at least ATTEMPTED to add a little "healthy" to this dish. Whether whole wheat or regular crackers, it's still delightful.

Make this, serve it with veggies and impress your friends. You won't regret it.


And speaking of Friends, this just made me giggle very loudly:


FYI...I feel like this on a daily basis.

Oh Phoebe.


Mom's Chicken Casserole
Serves 2-4


1 large chicken breast (or 2 small)
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
~ 4 oz of sour cream
2 tbsp of butter or margarine


Heat oven to 375. Crumble the sleeve of crackers and pour into a 9" x 13"baking dish. Melt the butter until it's soft, but not liquid. Pour butter into baking dish and mix with crackers. Line the bottom of the dish with crackers and back for about 8 minutes in the oven and remove to let it cool. This will be your crust.

Meanwhile, cook your chicken on the stove and save the broth when it's done. When chicken is fully cooked, chop into small pieces. Combine chicken, sour cream and cream of mushroom in a mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly combined, then add about 1 cup of the leftover broth and mix again. The mixture should be creamy, not liquid, so you might want to add a little of the broth at a time until you have the right consistency.

Sometimes I will add a dash of salt and a little pepper (to taste) here, but it's not necessary for this dish.

Once mixed, add the chicken mixture to your crust and spread evenly. Bake in oven until it starts to bubble and brown. This may take 20-25 minutes.

Remove and let it cool slightly, then serve while hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment