Friday, June 7, 2013

The Results are In: Paleo Lasagna

And Helloooooo again Friday!

Last night's experimental supper turned out to be quite tasty. It was my first time trying a "Paleo" recipe, but it honestly was not all that different from the recipes I usually make. Around the time I moved here to the City, I began cutting out dairy for health reasons and, over time, decreased my bread intake.

Don't get me wrong, I still put cream in my coffee and enjoy a nice pasta dish every once in awhile. And let's face it, sometimes a girl just needs a cookie. Or a brownie. Or cake, but we've addressed that already :) However, I still do what I can to eat natural foods and incorporate vegetables as much as possible, which is why this recipe appealed to me.

Someone told me once: "If God didn't make it, you don't eat it." I guess you can say that it kind of stuck ;)

I found this recipe (and its many variations) on Pinterest. If your not familiar with The Paleo Diet, in short, it's a way of eating void of dairy, refined sugars, cereal grains, legumes and processed food. While I'm not a fan of what many call "Fad Diets," this seems more like a lifestyle change rather than a temporary diet. I'm not against it, but the concept is intriguing. I can only speak for myself, but it definitely feels better when I'm eating fresh veggies and lean meats.

Then again, I also feel good after a cupcake. All in moderation I suppose! ;)

This recipe is for Paleo Lasagna, aka no pasta noodles! But don't let that deter you from trying this. Like I said, I do enjoy a nice hot dish of pasta every now and then, but I do have to watch the portions or else I'll walk away feeling heavy and searching for stretchy pants. This dish is a lighter variation, and I can honestly say that not only was it delicious, it did not weigh me down and I actually had a second portion without guilt.

And if you think about it, no pasta = no carbs. :) If you're into that sort of thing.



Instead of pasta, this dish uses vegetables to separate the layers: in this case, zucchini and yellow squash. There's also broccoli mixed in with the filling, and I would suggest adding spinach if you're a fan. It also calls for raw goat cheese - which technically is considered a dairy product but is easier for our bodies to digest. If you're like me and curious, you can read about it here.

I've got another experiment up my sleeve for tonight's supper, so here's to hoping for more great results.  Until then I'll be busy at work and then heading to the gym for a nice boot camp workout before road trippin' tomorrow! Looking forward to the next couple of days - hope you are too!

Enjoy the recipe (I left out the onions and it still tasted great)! See the original here.

NOTE: This is not my recipe - please visit the links to see the original chef's masterpiece!

Paleo Lasagna

from Tastebook

1 white onion, diced
1 lb extra lean turkey (I used less because that's what I had on hand)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp Italian spice blend
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lb zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into medallion rounds
1/2 raw goat cheese (again, I used less because of what I had on hand)
2 cups Greek yogurt
1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
1 egg

In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and add onions. Saute' on medium-high until softened. Add ground turkey, canned tomato and paste, spices, salt pepper, and garlic. Cook until turkey is completely cooked. Set aside.

In a bowl, mix goat cheese, yogurt, broccoli, and egg. Mix until it's nice and combined.

Lightly grease the bottom of a baking dish. The remaining veggies will act as your "pasta" to separate the layers. Place a layer of zucchini and squash rounds around the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of the turkey-tomato mixture. Top with the broccoli-yogurt mixture and repeat until you have no more left!

Bake for 45-60 minutes, then let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Unless you're like me and you're just hungry. Then I would suggest be careful not to burn your tongue :)

But above all else - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment