Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mean, Green, Smoothie Machine

Folks, summer has arrived.

It's 90+ degrees over here - and it's wonderful. I'm loving the sunshine and being able to relax by the pool =)

Things are getting a little crazy over here. Not "bad" crazy - just lots of decisions to make and work to do for September!

With the crazy comes the reminder that it's important to eat right and keep my energy up - can't get sick now! So allow me to introduce you to my breakfast:



Yep - that's a green smoothie. Isn't she a beaut?

I know it looks disgusting - slime, anyone? But I promise the taste is MUCH better than the sight of it.

The main ingredient: Spinach.

Oh, Spinach. Lovely Spinach. I've touched on the subject before, but I really do enjoy the stuff. Raw, cooked, steamed over chicken - YUM. Maybe the fact that it's really good for you is what I love more than the actual taste itself, but I promise you, you really probably might not be able to tell that there is any spinach in this shake.

Besides the color, obvi.

I drank these all the time when I was training, but took a break once I was done -- which may or may not have been because I re-discovered chocolate chip waffles.

However, upon that discovery I ALSO discovered that I felt really gross after eating said waffles. Maybe next time I'll just have them for dessert :o/

So here we are - back to le frappe' verte!

That's FRENCH for The Green Smoothie! Jealous? Impressed? Yeah you are.

I've been drinking them again for about a week now, every day for breakfast. I've definitely noticed my skin looking better - and I definitely feel better throughout the day.

Plus it gives you an extra serving of veggies, starting your morning off in a great way.

If you know me then you know I am obsessed with veggies.



I'm weird. I've accepted it.



Try this -- it only has five ingredients and the lovely taste of vanilla and almond butter completely cover the bitterness of the spinach. And here's a side note: I am NOT a fan of Greek yogurt. Like -- at all. It makes me gag. Even I can't taste it in this.

Do something good for yourself and make this for breakfast. Bottoms up! =)



Lean & Green Breakfast Machine - Smoothie



Ingredients:
1 cup of fresh spinach
1 heaping tbsp of Greek yogurt - I prefer vanilla or honey flavored
1 tbsp of almond butter (use peanut butter if you prefer)
3/4 cup of vanilla almond milk (use skim milk if you can do that sort of thing)
1 banana

Combine all ingredients into a blender or smoothie maker and pulse. Mix until all ingredients are evenly combined and top with a cute Hawaiian umbrella.


No comments:

Post a Comment