Saturday, June 1, 2013

Quick Monkey Muffins

Happy Saturday!

This morning's breakfast was purely an experiment - and a delicious one at that. After a few crazy weeks at work and a few more busy out-of-town weekends in between, it was high time for a laid-back Saturday morning spent drinking coffee and watching cooking shows. Love :)

FYI - Today the Pioneer Woman reminded me I needed to bake this amazing chocolate cake and Trisha Yearwood now has me craving pimento and cheese sandwiches. Be still my heart.

FYI 2.0 - I despised pimento and cheese sandwiches until about two years ago. Nothing happened, I literally woke up one day and immediately, waved my fist and declared, "I MUST HAVE PIMENTO AND CHEESE!" (dramatic interpretation, obvi.) I couldn't stop thinking about how delicious it suddenly seemed and eventually made my way to the store to purchase said product. I haven't turned back since.

But I digress.

Last night while heading home from the grocery store I heard a sudden "POP!" from the floor of the car. A can of biscuits I'd grabbed in the store (for a future experiment!!!!) had burst open and into the grocery bag.

It only made sense to use them to make these little beauties this morning. Couldn't let the biscuits go bad, now could we? ;)


I've been dreaming about making monkey bread since this post at Christmas time. Then I joined the crazy boot camp and went on a crazy "healthy food only" kick for about four months. While I still aim to eat healthy, I've slowly allowed myself to indulge in something sweet every now and then. So this morning, I decided it was high time to cash in on my monkey bread dreams.

Since I am a household of one, a full monkey bread cake is probably not a good idea. So hence these baby monkey muffins - just enough for a taste of monkey bread for one :)


I scaled down a Bell's Best recipe to use with only two canned biscuits, then added a few of my own ideas. My suggestion: before baking, poke a few holes in top of the biscuits, then add the glaze. This way the inside of the biscuit has a nice flavor as well.

These also taste great when they're dunked in a cup of coffee. Enjoy!

 

Mini Breakfast Monkey Muffins for One

Adapted from Bell's Best cookbook
Canned Biscuits (I used two)
2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1 tbsp Karo syrup
pinch of brown sugar
cream cheese
Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Brush 1 tbsp of melted butter on biscuits dip in the cinnamon mixture. Place in a baking pan. Combine remaining butter and Karo syrup, then add to remaining cinnamon mixture. Poke holes in the tops of biscuits, then drizzle the glaze over the top, making sure it seems into the holes. Top them off with a pinch of brown sugar and touch of cream cheese - adds just a little extra sweetness! Bake for 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are cooked thoroughly. Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment