Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Run for the Omelettes!

So I did something crazy last week. So crazy that I'm actually wondering WHAT could have POSSIBLY even began to tempt me into it, but not crazy enough that I'm regretting it...yet.

...although my quads and glutes may give you a COMPLETELY different impression.

...as well as the way I'm walking at the moment.


Mer her.



You might remember my mentioning a certain pulled muscle in my back early last week. Well, a few days later I somehow convinced myself it was COMPLETELY better and decided to sign up for a 12-week 5 a.m. fitness bootcamp that began on MONDAY. That's right. Labor Day.

For TWELVE WEEKS.

Brilliant, am I right?

We're three days in and I am FEELING IT.

In all honesty, though, being sore is a fantastic feeling. I've done this program twice before since moving here, and although it's no doubt one of the hardest things physically (and at times mentally) I've ever done, I KNOW it's worth it. It already is!


But let's back up a bit, shall we?


After my parents' visit on Friday, we suddenly remembered around, say, 11:30 or so that night that we were meeting our St. Jude Half Marathon team for a 6 a.m. run on Saturday. WHOOPS.

So, going on about 4-ish hours of sleep, we pushed ourselves through a very hilly, very HUMID morning run. We all struggled - and definitely had to walk a few times - but we felt so great afterwards!

...Plus we knew that The Broken Egg was waiting for us soon afterward!






Whoop whoop!

#RunForTheOmelettes!

I ate on the lighter side and chose a dish filled with fruit, quinoa, granola, toasted coconut, and a sweet cream drizzle. YUM.



However --- I was only slightly jealous of the Mister's choice, which was an omelette that had all sorts of wonder within: crab meat, crawfish, spice, and some kind of something that tasted even better than hollandaise sauce!




I may or may not have stolen politely requested a bite or two :)


I'm pretty much obsessed with loving this new tradition of ours.


By the end of the day, the hilly run started to kick in as our glutes and quads started getting sore - but it was NOTHING compared to what was waiting for us on Monday morning!


NOTHING!





Our alarms went off at 4:05 on Monday morning (Labor Day WHOOP!) and we were at our training by 4:45. The weigh-ins, push-ups, sprints, jumping jacks, and yelling started at exactly 5 a.m., when we were reminded that this was a completely no-nonsense training, and that we would be in the best shape yet if we cooperated, and there were no questions, no arguing, and no walking.


"RUN, don't walk!" they said.


Have I mentioned that our coach is a former SEC-standout -SLASH- NFL player?

That he's approximately the size of Goliath?

That his arms are bigger than my legs?

Or that his mere presence makes you tremble in your running shoes?


It's...a tad scary, I won't lie. But it is the biggest adrenaline rush and the hardest challenge that somehow winds up being pretty enjoyable.

Well, maybe afterward. But by 6 a.m., I'm a fantastically happy person!!!! 

But that very well could be the endorphins :)

Funny enough, I am still walking like an old lady. Thanks to our Labor Day shenanigans, I spent a nice chunk of the holiday (post-workout) recouping in our recliner with a book and a heating pad to mend my sore little back (thankfully, there's no serious pain, just soreness from the exercise :) ).

...because Tuesday was Leg Day at boot camp (YAY SQUATS!)

...and today was what I'll call HIIT day (YAY SPRINTS!).

So if you need me at any point over the next 12 (now almost 11!) weeks, I'll probably be curled up in the fetal position on a football field, covered in morning dew, sweat, and shreds of artificial grass...and being screamed at by a giant.

Gross is the new skinny.




Question:

What's the wildest thing you've ever been convinced or challenged yourself to do?



P.S. Have you ever done a bear crawl? My hips hurt. And pretty much everything else does, too. Even my fingers.

No complaints! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment