Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Homemade Mashed Potatoes

This is me today:



My arms are sore to the point I can FEEL it when I walk and, ergo, swing my arms!

I understand you, Raquel Welch....I understand you. Do not be ashamed!

Today's workout kicked my hiney. No joke. More sprints, more 45-pound bar in the weight room - YIKES! (no complaints, I love it!) But regardless, it felt GREAT (later. MUCH later) and it feels even greater knowing that after tomorrow's session, we're done until Monday! Whoop whoop!!!!

However, right about now all I REALLY want to do is curl up in bed with a book, some music, and THESE wonderful mashed potatoes.




The photo does no justice, you HAVE to believe me on this.

Since starting this new (read: intense) workout program, my appetite has been a little whack. It usually happens when I have to adjust to a new change in routine. Chicken sounds dry, veggies make me cringe, bread scares me, etc. (I'm weird) And while I do get hungry, nothing ever sounds appetizing.

Except for cake. Always cake.

HOWEVER, after getting home later than usual on Monday evening, ALL I could think about was warm mashed potatoes fresh off of the stove.

Even though we've been eating on the lighter side, we figured it would be okay to splurge on some 'taters as long as we racked up on veggies, too. So we paired it with some (unpictured) steamed zucchini squash and lean grilled chicken and all was right and happy with the world again.



My belly was all "OMG WHAT?????!!!" and begged for more. But I had to resist (a little)!

It's such a simple recipe that it seems silly to post, but it's always a hit with us as well as our families. It may take a bit of grunt work on the prep side, but it's totally worth it for smooth, creamy, perfectly mashed potatoes. Enjoy! :)



Homemade Mashed Potatoes

Serves 2-4


What you'll need:
3 medium to large potatoes
2 tbsp milk (more if you want them smoother and less chunky)
1-2 tbsp cream cheese
2-3 tbsp butter (more if you like the flavor)
1/2 pack of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
dash of salt
dash of pepper
dash of Tony's and oregano (optional)

What you'll do:
Peel and chop potatoes into small to medium chunks, then boil until soft (roughly 15 minutes). Drain potatoes and let them cool slightly. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients to taste. Smash mixture with a fork or potato smasher to desired consistency.

Ideas for other mix-ins: sour cream, bacon bits, green onions, Italian seasoning, shredded cheese (I vote  CHEDDAR) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment