Friday, August 29, 2014

The Best Friday

Fridays are wonderful. Just wonderful. But tonight - OH tonight. It beats them all.

Tonight my parents were able to drive up to The City to visit us - it's the first time since we moved into our new place that they've been able to make it here, and we had the best time :)

It was also the first time Hubs and I have cooked for them since we've been married - so it was nice to place host/hostess to them!

I didn't take many pictures because HELLO FAMILY. They only live about three hours away but...for someone who grew up surrounded by basically her entire family (me), three hours is too far. So, typically, when Hubs and I visit family, the phones are usually on silent or out of sight. It's a beautiful thang AMEN? ;)

However, I DO wish I would have taken pictures of our food. After some appetizers of mozzarella stuffed mushrooms (recipe below - these are always a HUGE hit with my family!), we inhaled some crazy good spaghetti with semi-homemade sauce, fresh steamed green beans, Texas toast, and one of our favorite desserts: Cream Puffs.





Ohhhh the Cream Puffs. I want them all. All over again. All of the days.

Our bellies were full, our hearts are full, and it's just been a wonderful evening. There's something about some REAL family time that seems to recharge our batteries and make everything ten times better.

Ben picked up a Coke after work tonight (we usually only keep water in the house #treat), and it pretty much sums it up.




I couldn't agree more.

So now I'm currently curled up on our couch watching Everybody Loves Raymond with my love and trying DESPERATELY to get Tay Tay's new song out of my head.

...because now it's in yours too :) YA WELCOME!


P.S. Tomorrow Mississippi State plays Southern Miss in college football for the first time in about 34 years. Hubs graduated from State, I graduated from Southern. Tomorrow's household will prove to be QUITE interesting. I'm pumped! Bring it. Merherher. #SMTTT

P.P.S. Last time this game happened, Southern Miss won. That's all I will say about that because IT'S ON!


Recipe!


{Imagine a delicious-looking picture here}
{{Seriously. You'd want to lick the screen had I posted one}}
{{{Serve this as an appetizer at your next shin-dig or get-together. #megahit}}}



Mozzarella Stuffed Mushrooms
(Serves 2-4 as an appetizer)

 

What you'll need:

1 package of white-button mushrooms (or other variety of small mushrooms)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano*
1/2 tsp basil*
1 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese (other types can be substituted: brie, goat, etc.)
 
*you can substitute these with Italian seasoning
 
 
What you'll do:
 
Twist stems off of mushrooms and rinse thoroughly. In a skillet, heat oil to medium heat. Sprinkle in garlic, onion, and oregano and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add in mushroom caps and toss to coat. Allow caps to sauté for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
 
Pinch off sections of mozzarella ball small (or large) enough to fill the center of each mushroom cap. Don't be afraid to really stuff the caps - I like to let the cheese overflow a bit for more "gooey-ness." Top with oregano and basil (or Italian seasoning) to taste, then bake for roughly 7 minutes or until cheese has thoroughly melted. Serve warm and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment