Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Red Beans and Rice Casserole

Get ready -- This recipe is going to knock your socks off.

I DO NOT LIE!!!!

Ready to drool?

Don't say I didn't warn ya!


Okay so that was a wimpy pic. But believe me, this is one FANTASTIC AMAZING dish!

Red Beans and Rice CASSEROLE.

Yes. Casserole. You really CAN make a casserole out of {almost} anything.

And get this: It's topped with GUACAMOLE.

Trust me when I say it's nothing short of delicious.

Back story: Last week, by the time Thursday rolled around I had had roughly 5 hours' sleep over the course of 2 days combined. I absolutely, positively could NOT function by the time I left work. I came home, kind of zombie-walked into the kitchen, threw a few things into a casserole dish and put it in the oven -- then set my alarm for an hour and a half nap. Glorious.

Two hours later, I might have woken up, turned off the oven, and immediately returned to sleeping.

I only vaguely remember doing any of this.

Is sleep-cooking a thing? Because I might have it.

#winning
#becauseitwasdelicious

I slept for about 4 wonderful hours, then woke up due to a growling stomach. Good thing I had THIS wondrous concoction waiting for me!

Insta-LICIOUS!!!!

Who says you can't eat supper at 10pm? In Spain they do it all the time!

Thirty minutes later, I was out again and slept until 7 on Friday morning.

It was a good night.

This recipe is not my own - I've adapted it from Jenna of EatLiveRun - check out her awesome blog when you get the chance! I made a few recipe additions of my own, but hers is the origin-NAL.

Make this. You and your belly will be VERY happy.




Red Beans & Rice Casserole
Serves 4


For Casserole:
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups of veggie or chicken broth
3/4 cup of brown rice
1 -8oz can of tomato sauce
1.5 tsp of cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Tony's, to taste
a few dashes of hot sauce
a dash of cayenne pepper

For Guac:
2 avocados
juice of 1 lime
a dash of cumin
a dash of garlic powder
a dash of Tony's

For casserole, combine everything into a 9 x 13 casserole dish and mix thoroughly. Cover very tightly with foil and place in the oven. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half. Do NOT - at ANY POINT - lift foil. Once it's done, serve, top with guac and enjoy.

For guac, mash the avocados until they've reached your desired consistency - I like mine a tad chunky. Squeeze in your lime juice and add seasonings, mix well and add a dollop onto your serving of casserole.


No comments:

Post a Comment